Dalwhinnie Lentil Soup
For four people:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large carrot, small diced
2 large ribs celery, small diced
1 small yellow onion, small diced
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus additional to taste
1 large cup red lentils
4 large cups water
1 whole bay leaf
2 tablespoons lemon juice from 1/2 large lemon
1 table spoon of Dalwhinnie 15 Whisky
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 slices of Stornoway black pudding
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the diced carrot, celery, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stir to combine, then cover and let the vegetables sweat until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5/6 minutes.
2. Add the lentils, water and bay leaf. Bring saucepan up to a boil, then turn the heat down to a slow simmer, now add the Dalwhinnie Whisky and allow the soup to simmer, covered, until the lentils begin to fall apart, about 20/24 minutes.
3. Grill the Stornoway black pudding, then fork in a bowl to a fine crumb.
4. Turn off the heat, stir in the lemon juice, thyme and add salt to taste. Cool for 5/6 minutes
5. To Serve, Ladle into 4 bowls and sprinkle with a liberal amount of Stornoway black pudding crumb and place small oatcakes on the side.