Lemon and Lime Tart
This recipe is by Margareta, Chef aboard Glen Tarsan
To serve 6 - 8 people:
For the pastry:
120g, 4oz, ½ cup, unsalted butter, slightly softened
80g, 2oz, 0.6 cup icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
2 medium organic or free-range egg yolks
250g, 9oz, 1.8 cups plain flour, sifted
1 tablespoon cold water
For the filling:
5 medium organic or free-range eggs
150g, 5½oz, 0.75 cup caster sugar (super-fine sugar)
140ml, 5floz, 0.6 cup double cream
The juice of 3 lemons and 1½ - 2 limes (simply taste the filling until you think it is sour enough)
1 organic or free-range egg, beaten, for glazing
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/ fan 160C/350F/gas mark4.
2. To make the pasty, add all the ingredients to a bowl and work it together with your hands until you’ve got a smooth pastry. Using your hands, press out the pastry in a 21cm, 8½ inch tart tin. Place the pastry case in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
3. Take out the pastry tin from the fridge, prick the bottom with a fork, cover with baking parchment and add whatever baking beans you are using. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
4. Carefully remove the baking beans and baking parchment, return the pastry case to the oven for about 5 more minutes, until the pastry is golden. Brush the pastry case with the beaten egg and return it to the oven for 1 more minute.
5. For the filling, whisk the eggs and sugar together, gently whisk in the cream, lemon juice and zest until just combined and pour it into the case. Cook for about 25-27 minutes. Remove the tart from the oven and let it cool for an hour.