Seared Skye Scallops with Stornoway Black Pudding
This recipe is by Mike Weir, Chef aboard Glen Etive
Serves two as a starter
4 fresh scallops, roe removed
4 spears of Asparagus
10 broad beans , blanched and refreshed, outer skin removed
20 frozen garden peas blanched and refreshed
2 slices Stornoway black pudding
Small amount pea puree (see recipe below)
4 slice pancetta
1. Turn oven on to 230 degrees c, Cover a baking tray with bake well paper, lay out strips of pancetta on the paper, not touching, lay another piece of bake well paper on top of the pancetta, and put another baking tray on top of paper, this is to keep the pancetta flat as it cooks .
2. Place in oven and cook for ten minutes, check to see if crispy and gold brown, if not give it a little longer.
3. Once cooked, remove from oven, remove top tray and top piece of bake well paper, leave pancetta on the bottom piece of bake well and on the bottom baking sheet. Put to one side, till ready to plate up
4. Put pan of water on to boil, with a little salt in it, once boiling blanch peas and broads beans in water for 1-2 minutes, then remove from water and plunge into cold water to stop them cooking and retain colour, ( refresh )
5. Do the same with the asparagus spears, but with them, when cooking in water, check to see they are just cooked after 1-2 minutes and again refresh in cold water .
6. With black pudding lay 2 slices of pudding on a baking tray, place small knob of butter on each slice and place under a pre heated grill, until just cooked, then remove from grill and with two small buttered rings or moulds, spread pudding in each ring and flatten off , make sure moulds or rings are pre buttered. Keep Pudding in rings and place somewhere to keep them warm until ready to serve.
7. To cook scallops, pre heat a non stick frying pan, on a high heat, add little olive oil, put scallops in pan, and sear on both sides till golden in colour on the edges, add small knob of butter as they cook, generally cook on each side for 1-2 minutes, add little seasoning as they cook .Once cooked, remove and place on a pice of kitchen roll , and keep warm.
To Plate Up
Spread out two warm large plates, smear a small amount of pea puree on each plate, arrange scallops on plates, and de mould black pudding on each plate, with a pan of water boiling, re heat, peas, broad beans and asparagus in water fro 60 seconds, drain and arrange on plate with the scallops and black pudding. Carefully lay the piece of pancetta on the black pudding, be careful as pancetta will be very brittle .
To finish drizzle small amount of truffle oil over each plate and serve .
Pea Puree recipe
400 grms Birds eye frozen peas
50 grms whole milk
40 grms of chopped up shallot
Salt and pepper
1 rasher smoked bacon, cut into small pieces (optional)
10 grms butter
1. Place butter and shallots and bacon into a saucepan, on a medium heat.
2. Cook for a few minutes until shallots are translucent, add all the other ingredients and increase heat and stirring to make sure the ingredients don't burn, cook out for 4-6 minutes .
3. Take off heat once cooked and put into a liquidizer, or food processor and puree until smooth, scrape down sides as you puree , taste and adjust seasoning .
4. Once smooth , keep warm until ready to serve
5. If you have any left over after serving, you can freeze it and use another time, just defrost and reheat in microwave ….